Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Literary Characters I'd Name My Children After

1.  Anne
This one ties into two of my favorites: Anne of Green Gables, and author Anne Lamott. Definitely, Anne with an e. I owe my overactive imagination and eternal hopefulness to Anne Shirley.

2. Zora
This is in reference to the amazing Florida writer, Zora Neal Hurston. Somehow I’d managed to slide through college without reading anything by this woman, but I read Their Eyes Were Watching God once I realized that I would get to teach it.

3. Matilda
I love Matilda, by Roald Dahl. He writes quirky childrens’ books. I love the quote in this book: “These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.” 


4.  Hero
from Much Ado about Nothing.  As far as characters and personality go, I’m much fonder of her cousin, Beatrice, but I love Hero’s name. A little unusual, with a cool story behind it.

5.  Sylvia
I am a big fan of Sylvia Plath. #angstfordays.

6. Hope
I loved Hope Was Here, by Joan Bauer. It's c
lassic young adult fiction, but it shaped a lot of how I see the world. I love the idea that all you need to bring to a new place is a dictionary and a thesaurus.

7.  Theodore
Teddy for short. Because I always have, and always will, love Little Women with my whole heart.  Side note: Teddy and Jo should have ended up together. They just should have….

8.  Atticus
Only as a middle name (I’d rather my child not be punched), but this one’s complicated. I have a deep and abiding love for To Kill a Mockingbird, but feel very conflicted about this character since reading Go Set a Watchman. So, my love for this character is based only on TKaM.

9. Gatsby
Once again, only as a middle name. Guys’ names are hard. They’re just not as pretty or original.. But I was majorly obsessed with The Great Gatsby. Usually when I teach a novel, I get so sick of it by the end. This happened with The Count of Monte Cristo and Invisible Man. However, rereading The Great Gatsby only made me love it more.

10. Jonathan
I’m a big fan of author Jonathan Safran Foer, who wrote Eating Animals and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I love the way he uses language, and his books are one of only a handful that made me ugly-cry.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love this list!! I am completely addicted to names for children too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had basset hounds forever and have decide that my next dog will be a male and I will name him after Neville Longbottom, the other chosen one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing to do with names, but my favorite Joan Bauer book is Rules of the Road. Have you read it? My new grandson is Teddy, and I hadn't even made the Little Women connection. How did I miss that?

    ReplyDelete