Monday, March 3, 2014

True Life: I Teach at a Small School


Today, I subbed for a ROTC teacher…(hooah?)
The structure of my school is very unique.  The school is all one building, with the majority of the academic core subjects on the third floor.  Electives are on the first and second floors.  Except English.  Always except English.

We have an adorable corner on the building, nestled on the 2nd floor, right next to Engineering labs and simulators.  Far away from the coffee filled teachers lounge, but right by the school library.  Eh, there’s downsides and upsides to everything.

I also teach in a very conservative county.  I’ve had three classic books pulled from the curriculum this year: Invisible Man, 1984, and The Lords of Discipline.  When I was being questioned about 1984, a parent was objecting to the extraterrestrial aliens in the novel.  Yep- I know…I feel as though this year has been a crash course in avoiding conflict.  I’ve been somewhat successful.  So it goes….

2 comments:

  1. I just couldn't imagine teaching in a school where 1984 and The Invisible Man were banned...what a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only had one book challenged in my career...The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. It is a timeless piece. I don't know if you have read it, but it is a feminist version of 1984 to me. I loved it and I love that you are posting!

    ReplyDelete