Sunday, March 17, 2013

What I'm Reading

So, three years ago, I found an online challenge to read 50 books in a year.  That first year, as a senior in a Literature program, I finished the challenge- no problem.  Most of my classes required reading ten or more novels, so the challenge happened automatically.

I ended up falling in love with a lot of different authors, especially Douglas Adams, Sylvia Plath, Margaret Atwood, and May Sarton.  Found a lot of books that I thought I would adore, but didn't (Nausea, I'm looking at you!). Maybe I'm just not existential enough...

Last year, I didn't finish the challenge, and I'm falling behind this year again.  So, I'm trying to refocus, take out some of the drama in my life, and concentrate on the things that make me happy.  One of those things is reading.  Please, no comments about Nerd Life- I've heard them all before.

And maybe some of the problem has been my book choices this year.  I limped my way through The Alchemist, and was definitely not impressed. (ooh, let me write simply and pretend to be deep. Sigh.)  If you're looking for a connection to the universe, just read Rumi.

So, I'm currently reading Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood.  Off to a slow start, but I do like it so far.  I'll be able to give a more informed opinion once I'm at least halfway through.  (I am well aware that "I like the book" has the merit of a second grade essay...)

Book suggestions are welcome :)

3 comments:

  1. I love Atwood's Handmaid's Tale my favorite and a classic. I also love When She Woke a book with a nod to both Atwood's Handmaid's Tale and Hawthorne's Scarlet Letter. I read at least 2 book a week, but hate too count. Enjoy the journey and the time more than the number! You are reading well above the average!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Atwood's poetry, although the only novel I've read was The Handmaid's Tale, which I adored. Have you read any Zora Neale Hurston - especially Their Eyes Were Watching God? or J.D. Salinger?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Beth's advice in savoring the journey; whenever I start quantifying anything--even things I love doing, some joy is lost.

    ReplyDelete