Saturday, March 16, 2013

Morning Thoughts


Usually, when the alarm clock
screams for attention, I roll my
eyes and ease out of the warmth
of blankets and dreams.

There’s dread for what screaming
parents and life events will
happen during morning coffee.
Or what I’ll find in the office.

I never stop wanting more…
I scan the horizon on the hour,
looking for tattered sailcloth
in the distance.  When I quiet

my breath, I can hear the ocean.
I grew up slathered in sunscreen,
digging my toes into soft sand,
and avoiding drowning.

My sister made me promise,
last month, when I couldn’t
speak for crying, to walk
in the summer Florida rain.

To go to the gym on hard days,
to trade depressed mornings for
sweat-slicked treadmills and
the perpetual sunrise.

So this is why: we choose the
good each time, even when it
arrives without shine or fanfare.
For each other, we are here.

4 comments:

  1. Your morning thoughts touched me deeply. Thank you for being here for me today as I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices! the beach or sweat...good for the soul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the contrast in this poem. Especially love these stanzas.

    I scan the horizon on the hour,
    looking for tattered sailcloth
    in the distance. When I quiet
    my breath, I can hear the ocean.
    I grew up slathered in sunscreen,
    digging my toes into soft sand,
    and avoiding drowning.

    You take me to my all time favorite place- the ocean. I love waking up hearing the water, or digging my toes into the sand. May these happy memories sustain you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and ease out of the warmth
    of blankets and dreams.

    Your images are so bold and vivid.

    I hope today you saw the sun.

    ReplyDelete