Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Zombie Poem


When we drove into Atlanta, I kept
checking for zombies.  Around the
park, in aquarium exhibits.  I thought
they’d be drinking soda downtown.

No such luck.  I even looked in the
windows, waiting for a zombie
self-portrait.  You know it’s a
metaphor.  Everything is, from

the stupid Vampire books, to
what they include in previews.
See, sometimes I shy from the
morning sun.  Too much happens

in darkness.  I used to be afraid
of Alaska- living, as they do, months
without seeing the sun.  And fish…
they eat a lot of fish, I’m told.

I used to think I was too simple.
There were no great tragedies, and
nothing to make me complex and
compelling as a leading actress.

I wish I could be a little more boring.
I’ve become a modern-day zombie…
my shot heart, stumbling, a walking art.
Covering the mess with sticky lipgloss.

Tomorrow I will say to myself
“So this is survival.”  Walking
through downtown Atlanta,
seeing car after car in traffic.  

2 comments:

  1. Some days are indeed survival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Covering the mess with sticky lipgloss.

    One day at a time. Did you see any zombies in the cars?

    ReplyDelete